Monday, 30 June 2014

Because Mom Needed A Conclusion

I didn't write a conclusion before leaving Iceland because it was hard for me to summarize a trip that was pretty short. I usually like to end with valuable life lessons learned or thoughts about what the adventure has meant to me. Iceland was wonderful but I know that what I most enjoyed about this trip is the father-daughter time it afforded. My dad is usually a pretty quiet guy (except when he sleeps without his CPAP..haha) so a week of uninterrupted conversation with him was a rare opportunity. We discussed healthcare reform, politics, the state of the economy, which team is likely to emerge victorious in the world cup (the Netherlands is looking pretty dominant this year), my distaste for the "bucket list" and much more.
When I got up this morning, there was a New York Times Op-Ed piece that seemed to provide a synopsis of all of the larger issues that we discussed. Here is the link:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/inequality-is-not-inevitable/?_php=true&_type=blogs&ref=opinion&_r=0

I am not usually one to publicly voice political opinions, but I agree with everything that Stiglitz puts forth in this article. I would be interested to know what you all (whoever has been keeping up with this blog) thinks about all of this and if anyone has ANY idea of what could be done.

So, thank you dad for an amazing trip and thanks mom for letting me borrow him for a week. Hopefully we will find time for more adventures in the future!

also, Mom-hope this conclusion was sufficient.

Lots of Love,
Hope

1 comment: