Saturday, 21 June 2014
Iceland Day 1
This post will be short because I may fall asleep mid sentence. From the photos, you can see we made it to Iceland!! We arrived at the airport at 6ish (Icelandic time..so that would be 2 on the east coast). Dad had booked a bus to Blue Lagoon from the airport and the first one left at 830. So with lots of time to kill, I decided to do the sane thing and find a comfy chair and sleep. I am pretty sure that folded in the right orientation I could fit into a carry on. Dad checked out all of the stores, I may need to get a leash for him because he tends to wander. At 8am we boarded the bus and headed to the Blue Lagoon. It is truly a unique landscape. Imagine what you would expect the moon to look like and add some blue murky water. The entire area consists of volcanic rocks that have been stationary for long enough that they have acquired a moss coating and the lagoon is actually blue (the title is NOT false advertising). Dad and I got changed and met up in the lagoon where we coated our faces in mud and dad forced me to swim around the entire perimeter. It was very strange that the closer you got to the steam vent, the warmer the water became. Also, no one has ever warned me that the place WREAKS of sulfur which I suppose makes sense since the minerals give the water the color but is unpleasant nonetheless. We went inside and took a nap in this observation deck area and then grabbed lunch and took the 2pm bus to our hotel. I slept on the bus and then again at the hotel. Dad took a photo of me sprawled out on the bus because he is trying to make up for the embarrassing photo I have of Steph. Mission accomplished.
Alright, time for dinner! Tomorrow we will likely stroll around the city and arrange for tours on Monday and Tuesday. I will keep you posted.
Lots of love,
one very sleepy Hope
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thanks for the update, now go get some sleep!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo fun! I thought the same when dad sent the sleeping pic. How's the food?? Safe travels and have lots of fun!!!
ReplyDelete