Monday, 29 June 2009

Monday Recap 6/29

Hi All,

So I know I update this compulsively but 1) The days are long and I don't want to forget anything and 2) this is an English program so I feel it is necessary to embrace my inner journalist.

Today I had my first class, london through film. We discussed Shakespeare in Love, and I discovered that in this film, the music acts as a third dimension. In saying this, I mean that the music invokes emotion that can't be attributed to action or dialogue-I am currently working on a journal entry for class on this argument.

After class (11) I went to the park to read. I was interrupted by a 30-something year old man from Turkey who asked me if I would mind helping him with his English. He said he just wanted to talk for 10 minutes, and I know how useful dialogue can be in learning a language so I agreed to help. It turned out that he worked for the Turkish government and they were paying for him to get his masters in English so that he would be able to help modernize Turkey (according to the man, science requires English so to make technological advancements he needs to be proficient in the language). We ended up talking for about an hour and I found the experience very entertaining and informative. I then left, grabbed a quick lunch and headed back to the house to meet some friends.

Then, two of my friends and I decided to take the train ( I bought an oyster month pass so I have unlimited access to the trains--super useful) to Westminster. We walked around the parliament building, saw Big Ben and looked at the outside of Westminster Abbey. We decided that we would either do the London Eye or Westminster Abbey, and decided to get a view of the whole city while the weather was pleasant. The view from the London Eye was incredible. After just a 30 minute wait (caugh caugh Eiffel tower should take a hint) I was flying high over all of London. I saw Buckingham Palace, a beautiful panoramic view of the city, and took some quality tourist pictures. 

After this trip we boarded the train for Shepherd's Bush for the play. We arrived at 6 for the 7:30 show, so we had just enough time for dinner. The location of the play was very interesting in that it was at a theatre located above a bar. The place seated maybe 40 people, so it would definitely be considered an intimate performance. Apologia is, in essence, the story of a dysfunctional family. The entire play takes place at the dinner table, so it was like nothing I have ever seen before. I really enjoyed the performance, some parts more than others, but overall it was a great first trip to the theatre. OH and one of the women in the play was in Love Actually- she played Hugh Grant's secretary (not the one who becomes the girlfriend...minor roll but still cool)

We decided to walk back as a group (about 10 of us) and on the way we saw Claire Danes and Hugh Dancey (yay london celeb sightings!)

Tomorrow's itinerary: theatre class 9-11 followed by an afternoon performance at the Globe Theatre (SO EXCITED!) of As You Like It. The play ends at 5 so I might just hang out and do work tomorrow night, but I have learned to expect the unexpected.

Other fun things to look forward to this week: Wednesday-possible trip to Wimbledon (Men's quarterfinal so may not be possible to get tickets...we're looking in to the queue) Thursday-exploration of london (Buckingham palace and/or London Tower) OR trip to Belgium. Friday- PARIS!

Yes, I am aware it is late but I am still adjusting to the time and I figured your desire to have another blog will outweigh your disapproval of the ungodly hour at which I have chosen to write it. 

xoxo, You know you love me :)

Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment