Friday, 24 July 2009

Friday 24/7

Hello All,

Hope Martha and her Vineyard are treating you well.

I saw my favorite performance thus far. The title of the play was Jerusalem, and it was absolutely phenomenal. The dialogue was witty, the lead actor delivered the best performance of the year (according to Michael Billington, most respected theatre critic in london so you can take his word for it), and I both laughed and cried during the performance. The play is about a man, Rooster, who lives as a gypsie "gyppo"  in less nice terms. He is an interesting character in that he provides a safe haven for kids who are abused at home, but he also deals drugs and is intoxicated for 99% of the performance. But, the lead actor was required to swallow a raw egg and at one point emerges from his trailer bloodied and beaten beyond recognition after being attacked by one girl's disgruntled father (we dont like the father..it is implied he rapes his stepdaughter). It is expected that he will take home the tony for best performance of the year so it was great to see acting of that caliber. 

Then, yesterday, I saw Hanif Kureshi's "Black Label". I had to read Buddah of Suburbia and watch Sammy and Rosie Get Laid, both from the same author and I hated both. The play was no exception. I feel that Kureshi does a disservice to minorities in that he focuses solely on stereotypes and rather than making the minority seem like innocent victims, he uses very corrupt and flawed characters. I always feel somewhat offended by his works. This coupled with horrific acting made the afternoon at the theatre less than stellar. But there are only two shows left. I may go through withdrawal when I get home so perhaps I will look into what is playing in Boston haha. 

Steph..spotted coming out of Stella's house: Liv Tyler! My friends saw her but I was at dinner, I figured this may be info you cant get from perez though :) I also think my friends and I may stand at stage side doors to get Ian Mckellan and Patrick Stewart autographs from Godot, and meet Jude Law after Hamlet ( I could have had a ticket to the actual performance but I had scheduled my voyage to stonehenge bath and windsor for the same day..oh well c'est la vie).

Today I am going to be super efficient. I got up early for a run in the park and now I am off to sloane square for some shopping followed by the British museum and National gallery. I am super excited because the British museum is home to the rosetta stone so OBVIOUSLY i will be checking that out. I think my friends and I are all either going to a jazz club or a kareoke bar tonight (here you get your own private room so we can all act like fools and not have the public throw rotten veggies at us).

Tomorrow is the voyage to stonehenge bath and windsor..I will let you know how that goes.

Love you and see you in t-minus 8 days

2 comments:

  1. Hi my Hope,
    We certainly have missed you on our visit to the V- But know you are having a great experience. I never made it to Stonehenge or Bath (other than thru the eyes of Rick Steves). Yesterday was rainy day activities- mini golf before the rain, Mememsha and scrabble. I had to remind your sister there is no crying in scrabble! Today to Cmark choc, Aquinah and movie- I was one of 4 males at "The Ugly Truth" - and finale at LGrenier.
    Have a great road trip and see you back in the USA in a couple.
    XO
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope, we'll just have to get you to the theatre more at home....definitely skip Jude Law, he's not worth missing Stonehenge... as Daddy told you he was one of only a few guys at a major chick flick- gotta love him.He won again at Scrabble- that's 2 for him, one for me, none for poor Steph....have a grea excursion this weekend.Looking forward to mega hugs in one week xoxoxo, Mom

    ReplyDelete