Thursday, 30 July 2009

Last week in london :(

Hello All,

So, I am going to assume this will be my last blog since my time in London will soon be over. Since the wonderful tea at the Ritz (and my last blog), I have knocked quite a few sites off of my list of things to see.

I toured Westminster on Monday afternoon. I found it very amusing that they buried Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots across the hall from one another (scandelous!) Monday night we saw a performance of 4:48 psychosis. It was written by a woman who committed suicide shortly after writing the play so, while extremely entertaining, the performance was very emotionally draining.

Tuesday I toured Buckingham palace. This castle has earned the title of my favorite thus far because while it is extravagant, it seems inhabitable (unlike Versailles). Then I headed out to the final performance of the summer,"War Horse". It seemed that all of the most advanced theatre techniques were displayed in this performance (there were  life sized puppet horses, a full scale model of a tank, video montage for scenery and a cast of 20 or so actors). 

Yesterday, my film class went on a field trip to a small art exhibit. There was a room in the museum in which a round table was set up for debate and the backdrop was a tapestry that portrayed Picasso's Guernica painting (the real one is currently in the UN and this was the inspiration for the exhibit-the idea that many great debates occurred in front of the painting), so our class was held in this room. We then ate lunch at a pakistani/punjabi restaurant (similar to indian food) in honor of the latest topic of study in the class.

After this field trip I ventured out of the city and headed to the Freud museum. It was really interesting to see the desks where Freud wrote his most famous works and "dreamed up" his theory of the unconscious (pun intended). He was also an avid art collector and a classicist so it was interesting to see all of the decorations on display in the home. I also saw the famous couch and first editions of Freud's work so it was definitely a worthwhile excursion.

Last night was our farewell dinner. We had a private room in a thai restaurant and the food was incredible. They brought out like fifteen different dishes and all of them were delish. The teachers made toasts and one of the seniors said a few words and it was  a wonderful evening of reminiscing and reflecting on all of the great times we have shared here in London. 

Today I am going to tour St. Paul's Cathedral. I have heard from friends that it is beautiful, but more importantly it is next to the millennium bridge (seen in harry potter) so I will have to take some great pictures of that and then I will probably spend the rest of the evening exploring the banks of the Thames. 

Tomorrow I am either going to do a self guided walking tour of London (my friends and I want to revisit our favorite places and say goodbye to the city), or I may get up early and visit the tennis museum at Wimbledon and then spend the rest of the afternoon walking around the city. I will probably go with option one and save Wimbledon for another date (since I am sure I will be back here someday... hopefully in the near future, guess I should check out the study abroad options for Oxford Cambridge and University of London).

That is all, thank you for making this wonderful summer possible and I can't wait to see you on saturday.

Love,
Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment