Hi Family,
I hope you are enjoying your time in Martha’s Vineyard.
I think I had my most exciting theatre experience on Sunday. The play was Waiting for Godot and to be honest I was skeptical. The entire play is about waiting for something that never happens so I anticipated spending the entire play waiting for an end that would never come (it’s a 3 hour performance). But when Didi and Gogo (main characters) crawled on to the stage, I was faced with Ian McClellan and Patrick Stewart! They delivered incredible, believable performances and I loved every minute of it.
Last night I saw a rendition of “All’s well that ends well” at the National Theatre. They chose to do a contemporary version but I didn’t feel that any of Shakespeare’s meaning was compromised in this decision. All of the modern details were subtle and seemed to only enhance the performance.
I spent all day yesterday searching for a dress for Sunday tea at the Ritz. Since I have been to Harrods thrice since arriving here, I decided to set sails for a new horizon. I headed off by myself and went to Harvey Nicks, Piccadilly Circus and finally Oxford Circus. In other words I was ambitious enough to tackle all of the major shopping districts in the city of London. I ended up getting a dress on Oxford street that I had tried on at Harrods a few days ago, further confirming my belief that I could live in that department store.
Today I am going for a run after class and since it is rainy, I may head to a movie or just relax in Notting Hill. Some upcoming events: Saturday I am going to Stonehenge, Bath and Windsor. Sunday is chocolate tea at the Ritz (you can look at the menu on the website..it looks unreal). I think I would also like to go to Canterbury and one of the famous gardens before leaving. I may also have a “museum day” where I knock out as may British museums as I can handle in one day (after yesterday’s shopping marathon I think I can handle this). I have been to Westminster but I may do a guided tour of the church because that could be interesting. If you can think of any other must sees that I have neglected please let me know.
Love you lots and I will see you soon.
Hope
by the way its ian mckellen and patrick stewart..i misspelled sorry
ReplyDeleteso, what does the dress look like- have you thought of going to the wax museum or is that too touristy? finally got a full day of sun on MV- don't be envious, I know you're having quite the adventure-quite the cast of Waiting for godot- you're going to find Framingham pretty boring after all your adventures
ReplyDeletexoxoxo, Mom