This time in maternidad feels pretty different. I no longer feel light headed when I walk into a room and I feel acclimated to the sights and sounds (and smells sometimes...blech) that accompany labor. Also, this week I am working with Beth and Caitlin who are both third year nursing students. Our doctor was late today and Beth started comforting a patient and holding her hand, so I followed Beth's lead and did the same with another patient. Usually, as premed students, Robinson and I would follow the doctor as he was examining how dilated a cervix was or checking on the contraction frequency and fetal heart rate. But I sort of felt more useful in this new role. I stayed with a woman and taught her to breath slowly, in through your nose out through your mouth. When she was taken to delivery, Beth and I stayed with her and held her hand. The delivery was hard and the baby got stuck at the shoulders so the doctor had to yank it out. When the baby was taken out, I saw that the umbilical cord was wrapped around its neck and the baby's face was an ungodly shade of blue/gray. I almost cried. I followed the nurse who took the baby to the next room and watched as they gave it oxygen and cleaned it up. The doctor explained that the baby would be fine and I went back to the delivery room and told the woman she had a new daughter. I got pretty emotional, but still no tears. I am getting good at holding it together.
Once the woman delivered the placenta I went back to the labor room. I went and stood with another woman who seemed further along and held her hand and coached her through contractions. Beth and Caitlin went to watch another delivery but I decided to stay with this woman (I had seen enough births last week). This woman, I found out, was 19 and this was her first child. I held her hand for another hour and she asked me, her "amiga," to stay with her through the whole thing. I told her that I would do my best, but my shift was almost over. I stayed with her until I saw the baby crown in the delivery room and held her hand the whole time. Then it was around 11:45 and my shift had ended at 11:30 so I decided to go. Plus she was pretty focused on what she was doing so I figured she would not notice my stealth exit. I still feel guilty for leaving, but I am glad I was able to comfort her for as long as I was there.
Tomorrow the doctor said he will try to get us in to see a cesarian section. I love surgery so hopefully we are able to get in and watch.
After our shift the entire gang went out for lunch at a mexican place. Then they went to the markets that I visited over the weekend so I decided to come home and relax after such a taxing morning. We have our last meeting with Dra Alvear (head of the program) tonight. I can't believe my stay in Quito is coming to an end, but I am really excited to get home and get back into my routine. I love traveling, but I think I have been away from home for a bit longer than I would like. I think In the future I will keep my vacations to three or four weeks max.
No comments:
Post a Comment