Sunday, 21 August 2011

Woops...almost forgot to mention Thursday's clinic

On Thursday in clinic I saw two more vaginal births. The second was really hard for the mother (she was in the individual room for around 40 minutes, pushing almost continuously). The others I have seen are in that room for around 10 minutes. So, yes it was difficult to watch and Robinson (boy in my program) admitted he started feeling a bit nauseous. I almost cried but I held it together. I was concerned for the woman and annoyed that the doctor who was instructing her to push kept leaving the room (To pop his head into the other room to see the other delivery which was progressing more rapidly). I didnt think I could handle more that day so, after the baby was born (a girl!) I asked the surgeon if I could see the nursery. So I spent the next half hour playing with babies...It made me feel a lot better about the world and I got to check out the newborn reflexes (rooting is my favorite). I am glad I know where this room is because it will make my next maternidad rotation a lot easier.

1 comment:

  1. Hope, I so enjoy reading your blogs- they are so descriptive I feel like I'm there with you. I'm glad that you're making the most of your trip and I'm impressed that you seem to navigate these new places so well- cudos on finding a good hostel!!!! Use that inhaler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete